Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Diabetes

My brother is in the hospital. He was supposed to have a "stint" or some such thing put in his heart valve(s). He had open heart surgery. What is really stinking about this is the general lack of information I have on this subject. I live with him so you would think he would have put me down to call. Nope, he told them to call Emma. Who had somehow lost the # I called her on to let her know he was in the hospital in the first place.??? Anyway it looks like he was run over by a Hummer, shot, hung, maybe mauled by a bear, and dragged to the hospital behind the ambulance. There are pipes coming out of every orifice known to exist on a man and a 6 banger IV deal the size of a large mans wallet on his pillow that would make any sane person cry for mercy. There are at least 15 machines hooked up to every conceivable wire, tube, and human anatomical position on his body. His legs are in some weird ski accident splint looking things, and basically everything in his room beeps, glows, displays, pumps, or measures. The bed leaks because he is on a water mattress. Nobody cares that his junk is hanging all over and outside his clothes (except me) and anyone who comes into the room can be told all about what is wrong with him and watch him be cared for.
I am not sure I want to live if I am ever in this position.
Now it is a few days later and he may come home soon! All the main wires and tubes are still there so I don't know how that is going to work.
Anyway, diabetes kills man

No comments: