Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did somebody step on a Monk?

For over 4 years now I have worked with a man obsessed with chants. To be specific, Gregorian Chants.
What this group of musicians(?) does is take a song like "losing my religion" and make it into a chant. So it sounds like a bunch of guys singing the anthem to Survivor only they are saying the words to a popular song. It would not be so bad but he has 3 or 4 favorite CD's and he plays them over and over all year long, every year, day after day, after day, over and over.
The latest is a bunch of guys called the Priests and they are singing / chanting a Catholic mass in Latin. Did I mention he plays it 4 times back to back? Every day?
Virtually every single visitor to our office says the same thing, "Is this funeral music?" or " What freeking channel is this crap on?"
It sounds like I work in a monastery. By the time 10 hours of this has gone by, I want to gouge out my own ears.
One of the guys upstairs says "It sounds like somebody stepped on a Monk". This has gone on now for 4 years. Now I'm not complaining (much) but for 4 years
I have listened to the chants, opera, chamber music, and just plain old talk radio of this guy. Did I mention that he listens to talk radio every day from 3:30pm to 4:30pm?
The guys on this brilliant show hash and re-hash the football games of the week. You can call in and get on the show. But if you curse, they will hang up on you. It has gotten to the point where I turn a fan on next to my ear so I can drown some of it out.
The thing is I KNOW how the postal people went that way now. One too many slow sad songs. When I go home at night all I listen to is the blessed silence of my car.
Seriously, I want to stop the noise coming from his half of the office NOW. Guns and bombs are not too far out there for retribution of this depth of torture. The only kind of music worse than this is Jazz. It just can not end soon enough
Oh yes, I tried a radio. He turns his up to drown mine out. It took me 3 warnings from the owner that mine was too loud to just give up. I am in the reception area and have a responsibility to maintain a professional image (bla bla bla)
Now I suffer (but not in silence) one of these days when the boss is on vacation or playing golf I will crack and bring in a giant stereo boom box. Or maybe a bazooka, I am undecided at this point.

2 comments:

Tobi said...

That is so bizarre. kill him with kindess Mama!

bdmom said...

my son does not sound like a monk! it's more like a wookey stuck down a really deep well crying for help. sheesh woman, get it strait!