Friday, April 11, 2008

FINALLY

Today, FINALLY the nurse/scheduler at my bariatric surgeon answered her phone and told me she submitted my file to my insurance company for approval. This makes the total process just under 1 year to start. I went to a bariatric surgeon at my doctors recomendation on May 31, 2007 for the first visit. They submitted all my info to my insurance. It was accepted. 3 days before my surgery was scheduled, the insurance company rejected it all. (opps, our bad ?$^*@) I had to go to a weight control class for 6 months and pay for it myself, so I did. When I went back to my bariatric surgeon, guess what?? He doesn't do this surgery anymore. So he recomended another surgeon. It took me 3 weeks to get in. Then it has taken the nurse/scheduler 5 weeks to type up my notes and submit it to my insurance company. I would say this is reasonable, but they are in the same physicians group. Today she told me that she doesn't know how much time it will take the insurance to reply, but they haven't rejected any of my stuff.
What does a woman have to do to get rid of diabetes? Evidently, you gotta jump through a LOT of hoops. If you are considering this surgery know this... it ain't easy, it ain't quick, and it ain't simple. I have been to nutritionists, weight doctors, psychiatrists, surgeons, counselors, and meetings, meetings, meetings. Most of this was on my dime. Everyone wants a slice of the pie. All I want is to feel better. I don't even qualify on the basis of weight. Only on my "co-morbid" complications. Maybe this is the only answer for those of us who can not lose enough weight to be healthy or maybe the only way to feel better is to be beaten this low with all this crap in the first place? By the time I get the surgery I'll feel grateful for the pain?
There is a bright side to this though, the end of the 15+ pills a day I take. The medicine alone is killing me in copays. Hopefully soon I will be able to post a blog which says I am not having to take all this medicine every day.

1 comment:

Tobi said...

Hurray for you!! One tiny step forward. Any progress is good news at this point! I will pray for you Mom!