Monday, December 22, 2008

Today is the day before the day before the day before. We always do Christmas presents on the night of the 24th. This began when the kids were visiting their dad on Christmas morning, court-ordered, so several decades now. You would think my son could remember that for the last 25 or 30 years we have all gathered at my house for a feast & presents on the 24th. This gives my kids a guilt-free "out" on Christmas day with their kids. Mom is done, no gifts at the Mammallamma's, stay home, veg all day, lounge, eat until you nap. You see the wisdom in this tradition I hope.
We started making gingerbread houses and cookies since the grandkids got big enough to participate too. You would think 3 pounds of sprinkles on 2 graham cracker sized cookies would stand out in a person's mind. You would think the 3 trips to the car to haul the booty out, a turkey coma, and 2 of the weirdest looking gingerbread houses ever created would create a little nudge of a memory.
No, he has actually called me to explain that "her" family all want to do Christmas on Christmas Eve. Dakota will be dropped off with my wonder doggies tomorrow morning. Dalton can not come at all. He and Deborah will be by some time on the 24th evening.
Of course being the dutiful grandmother I am, I will do all the party stuff and feast on the 23rd instead. Truth be told I don't care what day we open the presents but I had arranged for Xandra and the boys to be there on the 24th. Now we are scrambling to un-schedule everything. Why can't my son get it?
Other than that we are having a great Holiday and hope you are also!!

No comments: