Monday, December 22, 2008

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!! I just wanted to say that to everyone who stops here. The Holidays are just as exciting this year as when I was 5. My dad woke us up to "When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin along" being played on our 1st ever record player. I got a baby doll and a flannel nightgown. This was the first Christmas I recall. Our tree was silver (a fake one) with a turning light on the floor near it that changed the colors on it. Green, red, gold, and blue. My dad was a big fan of Christmas and getting up early. My Mom wanted nothing more than to sleep in late. The record player was red. Not plastic, a wooden case with red fabric on it. I remember him pointing out how cool the record player was. Monotone, no stereo available yet. We had a black and white giant (19") console tv. We watched it every night. There were no programs on during the day in the 50's. The soap powder we used had towels in it and was called DUZ. The washing machine had a wringer on the top and drained with a hose into the sink. The wet clothes had to be hung up to dry as dryers had not been invented yet. My Grandmother's stove was a wood-burning stove and she kept a match safe by it on the wall. I am blessed extremely to not have to hang out clothes to dry today. There were no microwave ovens and toast was made in the broiler pan of the oven, gas oven. No electric oven for us. Quilts did not come from the store, and your mother made most of your clothes. I wore a dress every day to school because it was mandatory for girls. On cold days we wore pants under the dresses. Christmas still means just as much to me today as when I was a little girl. The years have changed the record player to an I Pod, and the night gown into a fleece robe with Spongebob on it. I still feel the same excitement when I look into the faces of my grandchildren on present day, whatever day we celebrate it. And I have gained understanding of the day and now appreciate the greatest gift of all, The Savior of the world.

1 comment:

Tobi said...

Thank you for sharing your Christmas memories with us. How cool that you remember the Christmas when you were five.