Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Shopping

Did you have a merry pre- Christmas sale? On Black Friday we traditionally decorate the trees and the house. So, every year I watch in shock and awe as people scramble to get the best deals ever on everything. You just have to be there at 4 am and then make it to 7 other stores by 6am for these once in a lifetime deals.
Why don't they do this on Christmas Eve when I am inevitably confronted with the random Christmas present problem?
You know how it goes; Some random person gives you a really thoughtful gift and you got them NADA. Now it is 4 am Christmas Eve and you have to be at work by 7am. You need a gift and you need it NOW. Of course there are no great sales on this day. The good stuff was snatched up just after Thanksgiving. What about us schmoes who forgot someone? What about all the men on the planet who wait till 30 minutes before Christmas to shop? This would be why Chia Pets were invented, so there would be something left to buy on Christmas Eve.
This year I resolved to do it correctly long before the day of dread. However, mistakes were made already. I forgot there is a guy at work who always buys all of us office people a gift. Every year. Last year he bought me Starbucks Cocoa. I love Starbucks Cocoa. He pays attention. Last year I bought him a sack full of fruit and bought the boss a bag of candy. Then I had them delivered by the bosses son. He got it backwards so I looked dumb. This year I did not buy him anything yet. He likes beer and skiing. I hate both, don't know anything about either, and can't ask or I'll look stupid. What to do?? I am afraid it is fruit again. He is always eating fruit, not much else. Plus he is the VP, so I feel sort of obligated to reciprocate the gift. What kind of human male doesn't eat candy?
Anyway back to the Christmas Sales. Who in their right mind waits for the month of December to buy stuff? I buy all year long for Christmas however there is one sale I always go to. The Schoolastic Warehouse sale. It is the Mecca. Like IKEA they basically have everything and all of it is 1/2 price or lower. I nearly cry every year when I go through the door. The book shelfs go up to the ceiling. It is like paper heaven. I got nearly every one of my 10 grandkids something this year. Even the older ones. (Can you say teen idol books?) Now for the problem, I let BD go alone. So now we have 1,000 books noone will ever read.
You just can NOT have every book in the place. Only take what you need.
And / Or can read in a life time.

1 comment:

Tobi said...

I'm so jealous that you got to go the Scholastic Book Sale. I haven't been in years and I still dream of it every Christmas. Life can be so unfair.